Thursday, August 18, 2011

It is not the knot


I like talking with people a lot. I like listening to their political opinions, religious views, social concerns, relationships issues and other more personal stuff and problems. In short, about everything. And I like to explore with them different perspectives and possible solutions.

Sadly, most of the times when a good idea or solution is discovered, I hear the phrase: “The circumstances are not favorable”. To add to that “I (or We) have to wait for them to be favorable”.

Most of the times I get somehow irritated by this statement and respond telling or reminding the story of Alexander the Great and the Gordian Knot. In order to solve it, Alexander did not wait for the circumstances to be favorable. He just hacked it apart with his sword.

There are no “favorable” conditions for the solution of a problem. The only favorable condition is the existence of the problem itself.  Whenever there is a problem this is the only condition for a solution.   

So, next time you are faced with a problem, instead of spending time waiting for something that may not even exist, find the brave person determined to cut the knot. Or even better, BE that person!

2 comments:

  1. You put the truth in the end,
    Like!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Post a comment???
    I'm compelled to post a POINT OF APPRECIATION!
    READ ON...
    Do you ever find yourself at a crossroad? It could be in reference to a 'general' situation, a job, a relationship or the need to make an urgent business decision? In my case, I awoke this morning with a VERY strong desire to address ALL OF THE ABOVE. I pride myself in the knowledge that in MOST situations, I 'normally' have the 'answer' or can quickly find the 'solution' to the problem. Surprise - surprise... last night I went to sleep with a sense of 'overwhelm', frustration and HOPE. So many thoughts... so many problems... so many burdens... SO FEW ANSWERS! Thankfully, I prayed the prayer of the humbled... the prayer of the prostrated... & NOT the prayer of the defeated.
    I awoke this morning reflecting on last night's concerns and as night turns to day... the answer was right there... right before my eyes in the form of... Katerina's blog "It is NOT the knot"!
    WOW!
    THANK YOU LORD... THANK YOU KATERINA... THANK YOU 'THE POWER OF PRAYER'!!!
    I fell asleep last night with the laptop beside me on the bed. I was so exhausted, I didn't switch it off. On this occasion I was so GRATEFUL because, as my eyes opened, the first thing I saw was Katerina's picture staring back at me (smile). Once I'd focused, I began to read today's blog. What a Godsend... what a revelation... what a GIFT!
    EVERYTHING now made sense! The answers I sought (prior to this morning) eluded me because I was distracted and consumed by metaphorical 'KNOTS' rather than concentrating on the SOLUTION! This might sound simple (& believe me... I'm embarrassed by the thought) but that's what was happening.
    Having read K.K's blog, I jumped out of bed, and spoke with God. I prayed a most profound prayer of GRATITUDE. I thanked The Lord for answering my plea by manifesting the answer (on this occasion) in the form of Katerina and her wonderful blog. I am strengthened by her words and the 'simplicity' of the solution. I am motivated to face all matters HEAD-ON with the confidence and CONVICTION that whatever needs to be done, I have the tools to do the job!

    Katerina, I thank you for your eloquence, your wisdom and your ability to 'reach out' and TOUCH me (& others) in the way you do so beautifully.

    As a fellow Coach, I know that we don't always have the answers. In our professional capacity, we always endeavour to support, guide and encourage our clients to 'do for self'. Occasionally, we are reminded that our own 'well' (of wisdom & worth) needs to be replenished. You have done this for me and I cannot thank you enough. What I can do though, is to encourage you to continue your GREAT work. You are exceptionally talented, profoundly gifted and... a wonderful friend who I appreciate so much.
    God bless you Katerina.

    LG

    W Livingston Gilchrist (London UK | 19.08.11)

    ReplyDelete