Monday, January 20, 2014

Legacies

The third Monday of January every year sees the celebration of the life and achievements of Martin Luther King : it is the Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, an American federal holiday. 

Although I am neither an American, nor live in the US, I like to take this opportunity to reflect on his life and legacy. This year, today, the best opportunity came with an article titled: "Instead of Worshiping Dr. King, How About Working Like Him?

A light went on in my head. Every day, every time I check my facebook timeline I come across posts with the quotes and photos of different personalities that my contacts share. People that they admire, recognize, worship. 
How difficult is it to stop considering them as something unattainable, as the author of this article suggests? 

How achievable is it for any one of us to think of our role models, the people that we admire and inspire us, and work like them? Instead of just spreading quotes and stories from them, to actually do like them: be the changing agents and follow their legacy or create a new one. 


 

photo credit: http://www.sc.edu/eop/MLK/2010king.html

No comments:

Post a Comment