Saturday, May 10, 2014

Notes on Goal Setting


When it comes to goal setting, there are many models that can be used: From the very popular SMART, to SMARTER, EXACT, and countless more that can be found with a basic google search.
Regardless of which model you are end up using, there are basically three elements that really matter:

1.     Relevance. What makes this goal meaningful to me? How is it relevant to what I want to create in my life, to who I am and what is important to me; to my vision and values? Relevance is what will give us motivation and ownership of the goal.
2.     Specifics. Exactly what is it that I want to achieve? When? How will I know it has been achieved? Specifics provide us with the necessary clarity and, eventually, even with the entire road map we need to follow.
3.     Appraisal. How can I evaluate the results? This will give us the opportunity to reflect on what has worked and what needs to be improved or changed and whether we are on track. 


No comments:

Post a Comment