Saturday, June 14, 2014

Who’s a Coach Anyway?


I was always hesitant when asked what it is I do. I would reply “I am a coach” and see a questioning look in the eyes of the other person.

Coaching is one of those professions that still causes some confusion. It is not surprising that this happens.
I will not explore the reasons why this happens, but I will try to shed some light on what coaching is, on who is a coach.

Of the many definitions of coaching, there is one in particular I love, from Philippe Rosinski:
“Coaching is the art of facilitating the unleashing of people’s potential to reach meaningful, important objectives.”
A coach is a facilitator, a catalyst. Great coaches are professionals devoted to mastering the art of helping people discover their potential and overcome obstacles. This potential is going to be developed, in partnership with the client, so that they will reach their goals. Not just any goals: goals that are relevant to their values and vision, that make their life meaningful.

Once I was asked “what makes you an expert in other people’s life?”. I am not. My commitment and responsibility is to be an expert in coaching. To master the art, to know the tools, techniques and approaches, to learn the science behind the practice and to keep developing and sharpening my skills and increasing my knowledge. So that I can be the best partner for my client.
Who is the expert in the client’s life? The client him/herself. Coaches honor the client as the expert in his/her life and believe everyone is creative, resourceful and whole.

Coaching is a fast growing industry for one reason only: it works. With the help of recent research from neuroscience we begin to learn why it works.

Coaching might not seem a regulated profession to “outsiders” but to us, the professionals in this field it is: it is self-regulated. One of the organizations that seeks to advance the Art, Practice and Science of professional coaching is the International Coach Federation, in which I have the honor of being the Coordination Team leader for the EMEA region.
Like any other profession there is studying, certifications, a code of ethics and credentials and we take them very seriously and pursue them passionately.
Like any other profession, there are people who will exploit a catchy title (“coach”) to promise anything – at super high cost – to clients. But, would you hire someone to do a job before asking about his/her credentials? Why do that when hiring a coach?

So, who’s a coach anyway?
A professional who has studied the science of coaching, who is able to masterfully practice it and who is committed to sharpening the skills of this art. Someone who provides specific services to his/her clients – with an exceptionally high ROI.

Some additional resources:
-  Here is an old but still pretty accurate article that helps distinguish fact from fiction.
-  Coaching FAQ’s from the International Coach Federation.


No comments:

Post a Comment